Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Cover letter where I tried lying for the first time

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Gregory Boytos and I am ready to move on to bigger and better things at a bigger and better place. To go anywhere else would be a mistake; a regression. I can only imagine how amazing it would be to work for the company that has so all encompassingly entertained me for most of my natural life; a place that can only be what it is by having a team of dedicated, hard working and caring individuals that believe in the brand.
Growing up with a Marine for a father and an entrepreneur as a mother, the idea was work hard, work well and finish. For eighteen years, this was the recipe for success at home, in sports and school. In college it was the same, but then nobody was looking, so there was this open feeling. What would happen if I abandoned everything that had gotten me there? I never found out. My parents were good.
Work hard and you get to go out on Friday night. Work hard and you get an A. Get a bunch of A’s and you get a good student discount on your car insurance. Work hard and long and get a degree. Then what? Find a job, work hard, you will be rewarded, work harder and you will be rewarded more.
This is clearly an overly simple worldview. I never asked anyone what would happen if the reward ran out. If the company has not the positions to reward hard work with, what does the hardworking kid with tons of dreams do? I had to answer that one myself, which brings me to this resume, this application and the end of this letter. Thank you for your time. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best,

Gregory Boytos

No comments:

Post a Comment